We lived in Evergreen Square in Hackney from April 2002 until the events of the night of 1st October 2006. Our flat was one of the three-storey block. We were a happy family with neighbours who we related to. The children attended a local school, five minutes walking distance and there was a lovely park where they could play in the square. My husband worked at Tesco in Thurrock on the night shifts, and in the day-time he studied mathematics for business at Greenwich University.  He was close to finishing his degree course. I was in my final year at Kingston University and St George’s hospital studying radiography.

My husband came to this country not just to sit at home. He was ambitious for himself and his family. He worked very hard, both in his studies at University and at work. He wanted to better himself, get a good job and provide for his family. He wanted to set a good example for his children.

Since the incident I have had to move away from the flat because it was difficult to keep walking on the same staircase where he was attacked and died. I have had to leave behind the beautiful home we built together. We have left behind our friends. My youngest daughter keeps saying that daddy is still left at the house and she wants to go back there.

The death of my husband means that I have lost the person who was there to support me emotionally, physically and psychologically. He was a good husband who responded to my needs and supported me in everything. It is like a part of me is not there any more.

My girls have lost the person who was always there for them. Between us both we cared for our children. Whenever I couldn’t take them out he would do it.

Since they lost their father they have needed constant reassurance. They do not like to be alone. They are scared to leave me as they think I will not be there on their return. My little one will not now play with other children at school. She will not go to the toilet alone as she says she sees blood. Before this they were happy chatty girls

After my husbands death I had to postpone my studies, as I was not able to concentrate. I am now qualified and work as a Radiographer at Chase Farm Hospital, Enfield.

 Our lives will never be the same again without Stevens – a loving husband and father.

Our hearts and lives have been devastated


My name is Veronique, I am 31 years old and the widow of Stevens Nyembo-Ya-Muteba. We were married in 1997 in the Congo and came to live the U.K.in 1998 (We left the Congo because of the ongoing conflict, so in fear of our lives, we decided to come to Britain). We became naturalised British citizens in 2004. During our time here we had two children, Debbie aged 8 and Sheridan aged 4.



Our Hearts and Lives have Been Devastated



I am making this statement to set out the impact that the death of my husband has had on my life and on the lives of our two children.


You are here:

 Charity No: 1127016:    Registered Office: Knowledge Dock Business Centre, 4 University Way, London E16 2RD

Join us on Facebook             or e-mail us at reachingout@throughunity.com

© Through Unity 2016